RFS - Spencer Bursary
The Spencer Bursary 2017 is now open for application
Deadline :- Monday 8th May 2017
Meet the 2016 recipients here
Thanks to the generosity of the late John Anthony Spencer, the RFS is once more delighted to have the opportunity to award five Spencer Bursaries to support students from colleges and universities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to attend the Annual Conference 2017.
22 June 2017
This is a practical and inspiring day for farmers, foresters, landowners and researchers interested in agroforestry.
We will hear from people who are making agroforestry work for them. Farmers, foresters and advisors with hands-on experience will talk about the benefits, risks and how to make it happen.
The day, which is being chaired by BBC Farming Today presenter Charlotte Smith, will appeal to policy makers, too, bringing together the UK’s leading agroforestry practitioners and experts. It will highlight policy measures that would accelerate the uptake of agroforestry and the public benefits that it delivers.
The Conference is being co-hosted by RFS, Woodland Trust and the Soil Association.
The Spencer Bursary was donated to provide current or recently graduated students of forestry related course with the opportunity to attend RFS events. The RFS is offering up to 5 Spencer Bursaries to the value of £150 each. The bursary must be used to pay for entry into any of the RFS events listed below with the rest of the money used on travel and subsistence costs on the day of the event. Applications must be submitted by email on the appropriate form (see download, right) but please also read the rules and instructions for applicants (below).
Eligible events for 2017 are:
Agroforestry: Improving Productivity for Farmers and Foresters, Cranfield University, 22nd June 2017. Find out more here
To be eligible for the Spencer Bursary please consider the following criteria:
- You must be an undergraduate, a graduate within two years of graduation, or those studying for higher degrees – who are undertaking or have obtained a forestry degree/degree with a major forestry content at a British university.
- You need to be a RFS student member at the time of your application.
- You need to fill in and return by email the application form and supporting documents.
- All documents emailed to RFS should be saved/submitted in PDF format.
- Please provide a maximum 300 word supporting comment explaining why you should receive the RFS Spencer Bursary.
- We will let everyone know if they have been awarded a bursary within a week of the deadline.
- Each bursary is worth £150.00, to be collected as a cheque on the day of the event.
- Ensure your application is emailed to RFS by the deadline: Monday 8th May 2017. (We will use the date stamp on your sent email as the submission time.)
- Successful applicants should register for a place at the conference here (places will be reserved for bursary recipients) and will be presented with a cheque for the Spencer Bursary at the conference.
To apply, please complete the application form (see download, above right). You can register for the conference after you have heard whether you have been successful.
Please send the application form and supporting document to the RFS at: email@example.com